DIY Weekend Projects
DIY weekend projects are a great way to improve your home and garden in your own time. There are a host of different things you can do, some of which will improve the general ambiance of your home, others that will enable you to enhance your lifestyle and standard of living, and still others that will be sure to add value to your home, which is particularly important if you are planning to sell sometime in the future.
While you don’t have to have any professional skills to undertake many of the most popular DIY weekend projects people undertake, it is an advantage to have basic handyman-type skills. For instance if you can work with wood, there are some amazing do-it-yourself projects that will have friends and family gasping at what you have achieved. If you have basic welding skills, this will open up a whole new world of possibilities. Being able to lay bricks and blocks is another great skill to master. Even painting will open the doors to some exciting DIY weekend projects.
Do-it-yourself Woodwork Projects
Since most homes in the USA are built from lumber, woodwork DIY weekend projects usually top the list in terms of popularity. Furthermore, they may be tackled indoors or extended onto the patio and into the garden.
- Adding shutters to the outside of your house.
- Changing bedroom or kitchen cupboards to update the look of your interior.
- Removing old plasterboard cornices or skirting board and replacing these with better-looking wood.
- Fixing dado rails around the living for a period look.
- Building a pergola to define and potentially add shelter to your outdoor living area.
- Constructing a trellis screen that can be used to add privacy to a special corner of your backyard.
Do-it-yourself Welding Projects
Metalwork can add great charm to your home, and you may be surprised to find out just how simple basic welding can be. Of course you will need a welding machine, but you don’t need anything expensive or fancy; a basic MMA (manual metal arc welding machine) is perfect for most DIY Weekend Projects.
Projects you could tackle with basic welding skills include:
- Coat racks and hat racks, even hanging racks for pots and pans in your kitchen.
- Burglar bars and safety gates, if you live in an area where security is an issue.
- A metal BBQ unit for the patio.
- An attractive welded bench for your backyard.
Do-it-yourself Bricklaying Projects
DIY enthusiasts with bricklaying skills can build all sorts of things in the garden, and inside the home if the house isn’t timber frame.
Garden DIY weekend projects include:
- A nice solid BBQ unit that will add character as well as functionality to any patio. Those with more advanced bricklaying skills might even consider building an outdoor kitchen over a few weekends.
- Raised planters made from either bricks or larger blocks.
- A small brick pond that can be used as a reservoir for a fountain, or even stocked with fish.
Do-it-yourself Painting Projects
Anybody can paint, provided they follow the basic rules – particularly those relating to preparation – and are careful not to mess. This is great to know since paint is one of the easiest, quickest and least expensive DIY home improvement tools you can use.
Spend a weekend painting your living room and see what a difference it makes. Alternatively you may like the idea of painting your front door a bright color, or of giving your window frames a lick of paint.
At the end of the day, whatever do-it-yourself weekend projects you decide to tackle, make sure you have the skills required to do them. Also ensure that you are in fact improving the value of your home.